Thursday, February 8, 2018

A Stark Realization

There's a saying, "Dawn breaks over Marblehead."

Actually it's a pun, because dawn really does "break" over the seaside town of Marblehead Mass. But think of it as a "D'oh" moment and you get, "Dawn BREAKS over MARBLE-HEAD." Which is a wake up call. "HELLO STUPID!"

I'm good, but I'm not perfect. I make mistakes and sometimes even I don't "get" it the first time. Or even the second.

I texted my pal Julie the other day, about these diamonds, after I had made 84 four patch diamonds with the cream background:

"I changed my mind [about the print]. The prints looked awful. So I made these and dammit they may be wrong too.




"Maybe someday I'll learn that these tiny diamonds are as important as the big suckers.  Sigh."

I've been griping about those damn four patch diamonds for the last three quilts. The first quilt (Diamond Jubilee) was perfect. But after throwing a lot of fabric up on the design wall (photo above) just to fill in the spaces (this will NOT be the final quilt) it is ABUNDANTLY CLEAR that the problem with the little cream diamonds is that they are.... (wait for it)... Cream.

They are not PINK. They are supposed to DISAPPEAR, and these quite clearly don't. To disappear, they need to be the color of the surrounding pieces, which are... PINK!

(Cue the "Dawn breaks over Marble-head" line...)


So it's pale pink fabric shopping I go.


Which is why the talk I am going to give at MQX Manchester on Saturday April 14 will be "Quilting Without a Net, More Interesting Quilts Without a Plan." Because sometimes you'll have a real nice idea in your head but when you get it all out in front of you it all goes to pot (or hell.) You MUST learn to adjust and adapt.


Anyway. Good thing I am teaching a class at Quilted Threads on Saturday. I can do some shopping after class. The class is free pieced barns, and there is plenty of room left if you want to join us. I'd love to see you.


10 comments:

Elaine M said...

Interesting seeing all your steps. Thought the back side of that flowery print would be a try. I'm too far for your class. have you thought about making a trip to LA and teach? I would probably fly down for the day and join the class.

Melody A. said...

I understand where you are wanting to go but I love your quilt with the cream diamonds!! look forward to seeing what you come up with. Take care from Iowa

Nancy J said...

I can see a lot of what look like" bow ties" and can now understand how you change the fabrics to make the quilt as you want it to be. All those pinks are wonderful.

swooze said...

Could you dye them?

karen said...

I've really like each iteration of this quilt. Can't wait to see the next one. Pretty soon you'll have enough extra 4 patch diamonds to make a bonus quilt!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Oh - like Karen said!! Orphans can (as we well know) become something extraordinary!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I do remember you talking about the diamonds disappearing, and thinking that I still saw them. But I didn’t take it the next step further. So when dawn broke for you, it broke for me too!

Sharon said...

Cute phrase - thanks for explaining it. I never understood it before.

I agree with you on the pink quilt. It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

audrey said...

Oh yes! Loved how you put that, Quilting without a net makes for more interesting quilts. Exactly!!

Robby said...

I'm new here, but gosh am I loving these diamond quilts. I don't know that I have the eye you have for selecting the fabric components, but it's sure fun to watch. Good luck as you continue your quest.