Monday, January 30, 2017

MYFWFU Tutorial on Sale at Etsy!

It's Official!

My new tutorial, "Making Your Fabric Work For You" is ready and for sale at my Etsy shop, here.



It's available for ten US dollars and is an immediate download, so you can get started right away. I'm very excited. I hope you like it!

 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I had help from my friends Julie Sefton and Allison Tom who proofread and helped me edit the tutorial and transform it from a bunch of pictures with no text into what it is today. Together we refined, rearranged and re-rearranged everything in it so it was much more cohesive and thorough. We even added 17 pages!

Allison is a beginner quilter, and her questions often made me realize (as my friend the Selvage Fairy put it once) "there are things that you know that you don't even know that you know." In other words, Allison put me right on the spot. "Well on page X," she wrote to me one day, "you say this. But on page Y, you say the opposite. Which is it?" Um.

Allison lives in Vancouver, and I am across the continent in New England. We spent at least four hours on the telephone talking about this. Julie is an experienced quilter, and knew where I was going with this, but Allison's questions really made me focus. I sent her the original presentation without any text. Two days later I sent her the presentation after I added the running commentary I usually give when I presented it to a class.  "I learned so much from looking at the pictures," Allison wrote back later,  "But with the text I learned three times as much."

After I had finished the tute, and was preparing the marketing photos and blurbs, Allison asked if she could write a few words.  Here they are:




"I asked Lynne if I could write a brief paragraph about this new tute for her blog. I'm the beginning quilter who's been editing and commenting on the "Making Your Fabric Work For You" tutorial.  (I worked on the Liberated Birds too!)

"Now, I've been reading Lynne's blog for well over a year and have read many old posts too.  The day by day discussions of the challenges of these wonderful quilts captivated me.  There was so much to learn just following the blog.  But the tutorial has serious value added.  Of course, lots of information that's liberally sprinkled through the blog is pulled together here and presented in an orderly manner.  Conversations that started in the blog or in her classes are completed and filled out. 

"But Lynne never stops at "that'll do," as we all can see every day. She's created new slides and new text and the result is a careful, step by step exploration of her strategies to explore and use her fabrics to create those beautiful combinations; to make you look and look and look; and, of course to tell a joke or two along the way.  This is a great investment in learning to see fabric, color and pattern and to create more beautiful quilts."

Thanks Allison. I know damn well I couldn't have said it better.
:-)




2 comments:

Allison said...

This is soooo great, Lynne! Congrats!

Allison T

Quiltdivajulie said...

Congratulations on another excellent, well-worth-the-money tutorial! Even as much as you and I talk back and forth, seeing your thoughts and ideas compiled this way with so many spot-on example photos is always exciting. SO much information in these pages!!!