Monday, May 23, 2011

Chihuly

My son and I visited the Chihuly exhibit at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts yesterday. Dale Chihuly is a glass artist.

(yeah, this lime green "Icicle Tower" is all glass.)(Mind-blowing!)

The show was amazing. The galleries were packed with visitors, and we were all in awe. Fortunately, viewers were not discouraged from taking photographs, so we all snapped away.These were inspired by Native American baskets. It was amazing to see several nested pieces inside larger pieces. In this photo (below) five smaller pieces are nested inside a large bowl.Every room in the exhibit was amazing, but this room, with the pieces resting on a glass ceiling, lit from above, was a huge favorite. There were so many things to find... starfish, cherubs... it was fabulous.This was the bottom of a stunning limey-green "chandelier"I thought it was just fabulous. My son took this photo of me standing in front of it.
After spending a couple of hours looking at everything, our brains were overstuffed (Artists call it "museum head"), and we found a beautiful, quiet, comfortable place to sit down and relax.
Those are my sneakers. After walking around for a while, I like to take my shoes off and wiggle my toes. After a rest (and after I put my shoes back on), we went back through the Chihuly exhibit a second time.We had a wonderful day.

7 comments:

Susan Torrens said...

DH and I saw his exhibit a couple of years ago at the Phoenix Botanical Garden. It was spring, so all the desert plants were blooming, and the glass pieces were wonderful in the garden setting!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Chihuly's work is fantastic . . . I've seen it at the St. Louis Botanic Garden and at the Cheekwood Gardens near Nashville. I would go again, today, if I could (sadly, Boston is a tad far for my lunch hour).

SO glad you and Paul had such a good time.

jovaliquilts said...

Thanks for posting this! I'm visiting Boston this summer and now I can't wait to get to the museum!

Just Ducky said...

I am always amazed at what they can do with glass. Color, shape, texture, so much that is doesn't seem like glass anymore.

Judy in Michigan said...

We saw the exhibit in Naples a few years ago. In Flint, MI they have a wonderful chandelier in their art museum. My favorite in Naples was the glass ceiling that you mentioned. Oh, and the chandeliers! How do they move all this?? Glad you had a great day with your son.

Sarah said...

Don't you just ADORE his work?! I saw his exhibit at Fairchild Tropical Garden (outdoors) in Miami several times. He actually came back for a second exhibit which is highly unusual for Chihuly. I loved both exhibits.

Jean said...

These are gorgeous! I think I saw his work in one of the hotels in vegas when I was there a couple of years ago. If not his, very similiar.