Monday, February 7, 2011

When Misfits Aren't

Being a cheap New Englander, I never throw my misfit blocks away. Instead I put them in a plastic bin and keep the bin on the top shelf of a bookcase I generally can't reach.

I had misfit letters from my colors quilt, Nine x Nine.
I had misfit letters and blocks from the Rules quilts I made for Tonya, Helen, and Julie. I had misfit letters from The Quick Brown Fox.I had misfit letters from Daft Zebras, I made last summer:I had houses left over from Devon's quilt.I had leftover trees from Doll Quilt Swap 8, that I made in January 2010.
I had bits of my rows of seminole "dots" I used in my sampler quilt, "Letters From Home" made in 2009.I had blocks left over from Violette's quilt, which I made in 2008:wonky flowers
my first wonky house
and some wonky trees.

Why do I mention this? Because earlier this year, my friend Julie asked me to send them to her so she could make a flimsy.

In the lovely way a creative project changes as you work on it (if you're smart enough to let it), the flimsy developed into something more than the sum of its parts, and then morphed into not one, but two quilts.

My blocks + Julie's design sense = [two] Collaborative quilts! How cool is that? (And it's not over! Our friend Chris will add another creative element when she quilts them.)

What Julie really made is Magic. You simply must go to her blog and see Monday's post to check it out. I am positively thrilled!

2 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

As am I ... thrilled!!!!!

HP II has now been properly named: Magic Happens (great suggestion!). I added that as a "Note" at the end of my post when I fixed the link to your blog (SORRY!)

WOO HOO!!

Tonya Ricucci said...

it really is a smashing quilt!!!! happens when there is so much good stuff to work with!